Cat Ba Island is considered as one of the largest islands in Northern Vietnam. This island is 350 km2 in area and consists of around 367 beautiful islets with diverse sizes creating an imposing scenery.
There are many routes to reach Cat Ba Island. Transportation and the time might be different depending on your itinerary and even the styles of traveling. With the aim of helping tourists have better information, Heritage Cruises would like to provide different means of transportation to get to Cat Ba Island.
1. Get to Cat Ba Island by air
– Cat Bi International (HPH) in Haiphong which is the closest airport, is 10 km far from Binh Harbour. You’ll get to Cat Ba Town from Binh Harbour by a ferry or a speedboat. Using aerial transportation to Hai Phong is a smart choice for those who are now in HCM City, Da Nang, and other big cities and who are foreigners.
– From Noi Bai Airport (HAN) (Hanoi), it takes 3h30 – 4h to get to Binh Harbour (Haiphong). Then, you’ll reach Cat Ba Town from Binh Harbour.
– Boarding on the Seaplane (Noi Bai Airport – Hanoi) to Tuan Chau Island (Halong City), with a 45-minute flight. From Tuan Chau, a private car would be necessary to take you to Binh Harbour. Then reach Cat Ba Town.
– From Van Don Airport (VDO) (Quang Ninh Province), you’ll take a car on the new highway to get to Binh Harbour, about 2 hours and then, get to Cat Ba Town.
2. Going to Cat Ba by road
Getting to Cat Ba Island by road seems to be the most common way for tourists. You can reach Cat Ba Island from Hanoi City and Halong Bay.
* From Hanoi:
– Tourists can get on the coach driving them directly to Hai Phong City. A new highway 5B Hanoi-Haiphong helps to reduce the time for traveling to Haiphong City to 1h30 instead of 4 hours as before. This has removed the inconvenience of traveling to a sinuous and narrow road passing through many villages.
– Pros: The price is quite cheap compared to others and there is more than one trip per day.
– Cons: The place for guests to get on is pretty far from the city center. You have to go to the coach station for departing.
– Coach-provider: Hoang Long
- Nuoc Ngam Station (Hanoi) – Cat Ba: 5h20 -7h20 – 11h20 -13h20
- Cat Ba – Hanoi: 7h15 – 9h15 – 11h45 – 13h15 – 15h15
- Booking: 0225.3920.920 – 0904.225.177
- VND 280,000/person/1 way.
– Taking on a shuttle bus (not local public buses) goes directly from Hanoi to Hai Phong. It takes nearly 2 hours thanks to the new highway. From Hai Phong City, you’ll get to Binh Harbour and then, reach Cat Ba Island.
– Pros: The shuttle buses are comfortable, convenient and proper prices, compared to others. They’ll pick you at your hotel in Hanoi around the Old Quarter and then transfer you directly to Hai Phong City so it has no stress on the way regarding time and luggage stuff with little or no waiting time.
– Cons: It takes time for guests to find car-providers.
+ Departure time: Hanoi – Cat Ba: 7h30; 10h45; 14h
Cat Ba – Hanoi: 9h; 12h30; 15h45
|Cat Ba Express||No 37B Nguyen Huu Huan, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi||01248.244.999||VND 280,000/person|
|Good Morning Cat Ba||No.13 Hang Huong, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi||0913.309.6281||VND 230,000/person|
|Daiichi Travel||No. 85 Nguyen Huu Huan, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi||024.6654.7070||VND 250,000/person|
# Option 3: You can go to Cat Ba Island in a private car. This option is suitable for those who are a group of travelers or for a family trip. The price of renting a private car, VND 2,600,000.
- Pros: Going with a private car makes tourists feel more convenient and comfortable.
- Cons: If going by a private car, you have to go by ferry to reach Cat Ba Island. It takes much time to wait due to the congestion.
# Optional 4: Tourists can go by motorcycle to reach Cat Ba Island.
- Pros: It’s convenient and comfortable for guests and suitable for the young.
- Cons: The distance from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island is quite long, so tourists might feel tired.
Getting to Cat Ba Island is more easier than before since our cruise will offer limousine service or a shuttle bus transfer from the city center of Hanoi capital, normally guests will be picked up around the old quarter areas.
* From Halong:
You’ll take a bus/a taxi from Halong City (Quang Ninh Province) to Hai Phong City within 45 minutes as before. Private cars or taxis are the most convenient choice, but public buses are also available. Then, you’ll reach Cat Ba Town from Binh Harbour (Hai Phong).
– Departure: Muong Thanh Hotel at Halong Street, Bai Chay Ward, Halong, Quang Ninh.
– Arrival: No 19, Nui Ngoc Street, Cat Ba, Hai Phong.
– Price: 120,000 VND/person.
3. Traveling to Cat Ba Island by train
– You can get on a train from Gia Lam Railway Station (Long Bien District) or Hanoi Railway Station (near the Old Quarter) to Hai Phong Railway Station (Hai Phong City). It lasts nearly 2 hours 45 minutes. Well, taking a train will help reduce the time of finding car service providers. From Hai Phong Railway Station, you’ll take a taxi or a bus to get to Binh Harbour. Then arrive at Cat Ba Town.
Please note that the time might change marginally so check your itinerary carefully before you go. The price of train tickets is also various and depends on whether you’re traveling on the weekend or weekday and choose hard or soft seats.
- Departure: Hanoi Railway Station – 120 Le Duan, Hoan Kiem District
or Gia Lam Railway Station at Ngoc Lam – Long Bien – Hanoi.
- Arrival: Haiphong Railway Station – 75 Luong Khanh Thien, Luong Khanh Thien, Ngo Quyen, Hai Phong.
- Time for departure: 6h, 9h20, 15h20, 18h15
+ Monday – Thursday: 65,000/person for a hard seat; 70,000/person for a soft seat.
+ Friday – Sunday: VND 75,000/person for a hard seat; VND 80,000/person for a soft seat.
4. getting to Cat Ba Island by ferry
All routes lead the way to arrive at Hai Phong City, then you’ll take a taxi to get to Dinh Vu Port and reach Cat Ba Island by ferry. The ferry ticket is 15,000 VND/ 1 person.
Apparently, taking a ferry is much cheaper than other ways but it takes much time and is more crowded.
– From Dinh Vu – Ninh Tiep Port, you’ll take a ferry to get to Cat Hai Harbour, 45 mins. Then, you continue getting a bus/a car to reach Got Harbour. After that, you’ll get on another ferry to arrive at Cai Vieng Harbour (Cat Ba Island) within 20 mins, which is 20 km far from Cat Ba Town. Now, there are 37 ferries per day, 5 a.m to 5 p.m, each hour has one trip.
5. By private speedboat
For speedboat, you can get to Cat Ba Island from Halong City (Quang Ninh Province) and Hai Phong City. Firstly, departing from Halong City, there are 2 options:
# Option 1:
You can depart at Tuan Chau Island (Halong City) by taking a private speed boat to Gia Luan Harbour (25 km far from Cat Ba Town), 20 mins to get there. Then, taking a taxi to get to Cat Ba Town.
Here are several departure times:
Tuan Chau Island to Gia Luan: 7h15; 8h30; 10h30; 13h; 14h30; 16h
Gia Luan to Tuan Chau Island: 8h; 9h15; 11h; 13h; 15h30; 16h30
Price: + 450,000 VND for less than 9 people
+ 650,000 VND for 9 to 16 people
# Option 2:
Departure from Hon Gai Port (Halong City) to get Cat Ba Island is properly the second choice for you. You’ll take a speed boat and go directly to Beo Seaport, 1.5 km far from Cat Ba Town. It takes about 40 – 45 minutes on the boat.
Here are departure times:
Hon Gai Port – Beo Harbour: 7h30; 13h
Beo Harbour – Hon Gai Port: 8h30; 13h55
Price: 150,000 VND/person
– Secondly, after arriving at Hai Phong City, you’ll take a speedboat at Binh Harbour to get to Cai Vieng Harbour (Cat Ba Island). Then, taking a taxi/bus helps you arrive at Cat Ba Town. It costs 200,000 VND/1 person, 45 mins.
Please note it down, the times for departure may change without notification. Make sure that you contact with service providers before your comings. Obviously, the speed boat is more convenient and time-saving for you, especially in high season.
6. By Hydrofoil
You can take a hydrofoil from Binh Harbour to go directly to Cat Ba Port, 8 – 10 mins. The price is 180,000 – 200,000 VND/1 person. Obviously, the time for transferring is quite fast so tourists who are seasick shouldn’t use this vehicle.
Here are some details:
|Hydrofoil providers||Time for departure||Ticket fee|
|Mekong Hoang Yen||Binh Harbor – Cat Ba: 9h||VND 200,000/adult|
|Cat Ba Island||
Binh Harbor – Cat Ba: 9h, 13h, 15h
Cat Ba – Binh Harbor: 10h, 14h10, 16h
Getting to Cat Ba Island is easier, isn’t it? Heritage Cruises has just helped you to look through all the possible routes from your home country, like Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hai Phong or other places to get to Cat Ba Island by different means of transportation. Each route has its advantages and disadvantages, travelers should take into account to choose the way, vehicles and the budget that is appropriate with your itinerary and present condition. If you need more detailed information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.